I want to replace my lock
In various situations it is advisable to replace the lock of your front door or exterior door. When you have just moved places, it is advisable to replace all locks, because you can almost never be sure that additional keys have been created in the past. It is a scary thought that an old resident still has a key to your home. Another reason to have your lock replaced would be that your lock is outdated or even defective. In this case you are forced to have a new lock installed. Finally, replacing locks is also part of burglary prevention. In this situation you choose, after consultation with a certified locksmith, to replace your lock with a lock that offers more security.
Lock replacement cost
The cost of replacing a lock varies widely. The price of replacing a lock depends, among other things, on the type of lock, the SKG score of the lock and the cylinder size.
Type of locks
Three types of cylinder locks can be distinguished.
- Mortise lock: this most common lock is mounted in the door
- Multi-point lock: this type of mortise lock has multiple closing points and offers a higher level of security
- Rim lock: this outdated type of lock is mounted on the inside of the door
In addition to cylinder locks, there are also pin locks. This type of lock works with metal pins instead of a cylinder. The key of a pin lock has four teeth and is cross-shaped.
SKG quality mark
Most locks have the SKG quality mark of the Stichting Kwaliteit Gevelbouw. This quality mark has a star-based rating system:
- 1 star: standard burglar-resistant lock
- 2 stars: heavily burglar-resistant locks
- 3 stars: the lock, hinges, cylinder and door offer sufficient resistance to burglary
The size of the cylinder is also an important cost factor when replacing a lock. The size of the cylinder depends on the thickness of the door. Cylinder sizes have an outside size and an inside size. The standard size is 30mm, but this can go up to 70mm, for example. The cost of replacing your lock is therefore higher with a thicker door.
Finding a good locksmith to replace your lock
The best way to find a good locksmith near you is using locksmith.nl. Locksmith.nl is the number 1 platform in the Netherlands where you quickly and easily select a trustworthy, thoroughly screened locksmith. These are certified handymen who have made it through the locksmith.nl selection process, meaning the locksmith:
- has been awarded with a Statement of Conduct (VOG)
- is registered at the Chamber of Commerce (KvK) and has a valid company liability insurance
- is highly valued by customers and praised by other renowned locksmiths for delivering outstanding locksmith services in the past
Locksmith.nl is active throughout the Netherlands
If you want to have your lock replaced by a verified locksmith, then you have come to the right place at Locksmith.nl. Our locksmiths can replace your lock throughout the Netherlands and in most cases we are on site within 30 minutes.